What's New In Your Area

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Some Like It Hot

In the 1959 film, "Some Like It Hot", Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon were on the approach to a Florida beach. Donned with bathing caps and a huge beach ball in hand, the trio joined a chorus of girls wading in the water singing a Harry Carroll song - "By the sea, by the sea! By the beautiful sea! You and me, you and me. Oh how happy we'll be!"


Two weeks ago after I rolled into Westbank on a frigid and blustery winter morning, my aunt was insistent on trudging through the snow and ice to take me and my future sister-in-law to a new fish & chip place.  Mmm. Hot fish & chips are a welcoming comfort food on such days as these.


As soon as I saw the name, BUY THE SEA I was hooked.
I began to sing the aforementioned song and asked my aunt, "I wonder why they spelled BUY with a "u" instead of the regular way?" Our triad walked into the fish market and a soothing feeling washed over me when I tilted my head back and took a deep breath. I was home again.


Walking in onto laminate wood flooring, a few bistro tables were scattered in front of the large, bay window store front. Alongside to our right were more tables, chairs and shelves of various seafood enhancing products like marinades and sauces, also various salts and snacking items. Everything was well arranged to associate their little section of extra's with the seafood theme of the establishment.


We stood at the short end of an "L" shaped display case that incorporated two large beds of ice with various fresh fish and seafood aligned in a visually appealing way. The case was divided on the long side by a deep counter top at which to settle ones purchases. Market menu boards were hanging high on the walls behind the counters and I could clearly see all they had to offer. Everything from oysters and squid to Sockeye and swordfish were listed among the delicacies. To the very back was the kitchen where two ladies were standing with hair tied back and crisp, clean, apron style smocks on.


We were greeted by a third whom I approached and asked what was the idea behind the spelling of their store name. She answered "Buy as in Cha-Ching. You are buying the sea at our place." I told her it made perfect sense, C-E-N-T-S. A little humour to kick us off.


My aunt wanted a coffee to start and they had none. However we were quickly compensated with an answer as one of the girls suggested we go next door to Starbucks and bring a hot beverage over from there. Well, that was solved.


So the three of us gawked at the menu briefly and two of us ordered the 2 piece Halibut fish & chips. The price of 16.99 seemed a bit steep at first glance, until it arrived at our table.


Words cannot describe the flavour and appearance that lay before us. However, I will do my best to say that the fillets of Halibut were thick cut, large and moist. Battered to golden perfection, the coating crackled and was full of flavour. Accompanying the fish was home made tarter sauce with REAL dill weed and not chunky, store bought, pickled relish-style sauce. The best creamy and tangy accessory to any fish I have ever eaten! THE BEST!


Sometimes with places like this, I have found in the past that when a cafe or restaurant specializes in a particular type of food, they forgo the quality of other menu items. Not here. The french fries were also crispy and not oily. Our side of coleslaw was creamy and had the delightful addition of sunflower seeds to add the touch of crunch that rounded out the palate pleasing, massive meal in a basket. Definitely eats and treats.


BUY THE SEA also offers take out, so if you like your fish on the fly (haha) you can do that too.


MY RECOMMENDATIONS:


-For the general Fish & Chip lover there is the Halibut. If your name is not SHAQ, the whale sized portions are enough to feed you and take home some for a late night snack.
-Try the chowder if you want to take the ice of your winter booties.
-If you want to take a walk on the wild side, order the oysters.
-Don't let the prices scare you as you can easily divide an order to share. Besides, when people eat out, they should expect to pay what the going rate is.


"I love to be beside your side, beside the sea. Beside the seaside, by the beautiful sea" - Harry Carroll 1914.




URBAN SPOON REVIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment